NATIONAL SAFE ROUTES “WALK TO SCHOOL DAY”
on OCTOBER 10, 2018 IN WILLOW GLEN
Seasonally, every year, Walk to School Dayreturns in the autumn, and Bike to School Day in the spring.
This national event is organized locally by Stakeholders for a Safe Green Villagein partnership with the National Center for Safe Routes to School. Willow Glen Neighborhood Association - WGNA is a regular co-sponsor
WHO: PARTICIPATING SCHOOLS for the Willow Glen event include:
Willow Glen Elementary; River Glen School K-8; Ernesto Galarza Elementary; Hammer Montessori Elementary; Gardner Academy; and Washington Elementary.
(Note: in the below, also see separate events and venues for nearby Gardner Academy and Washington Elementary School).
WHEN & WHERE:
On Thursday 10 October 2018, students, parents, and teachers will meet together at the Bank of America Parking Lot on Lincoln Avenue. In celebrating "Walk to School Day", we all came together for a morning reception and then go to our respective schools.
Team mascots will appear,including "Q" of San Jose Earthquakes, and others to be confirmed. Area students and families are invited to participate, along with other area dignitaries. We will have snacks and giveaways.
Join children & adults around the world to celebrate the benefits of walking:
- Encouraging a child’s next stage of independence
- Physical activity
- Teaching safe pedestrian & bicycling skills to children
- Awareness of how walkable & bikeable community improvements can be made
- Concern for the environment Reducing traffic congestion, pollution & speed near schools
- Sharing time with community leaders, parents & children
- Creating joy and fun!
- Promoting psychological well-being and alertness
- Fostering maturation and responsibility
- Creating habits of activity, empowerment and thinking differently