Seasonally, every year, Bike to School month returns in the spring (usually May), and Walk to School Day returns in the autumn.
Stakeholders for a Safe Green Village sponsors and organizes our annual National Center for Safe Routes to School"Bike to School" activities, the next occurring in May 2019. Co-sponsors include Willow Glen Neighborhood Association - WGNA and other groups.
Through the year, and as part of the celebrations, students at our elementary schools receive bicycles, helmets, and razor scooters.
This national event is organized locally by Stakeholders for a Safe Green Village in partnership with the National Center for Safe Routes to School. Our regular co-sponsor is the Willow Glen Neighborhood Association - WGNA.
WHO: PARTICIPATING SCHOOLS for the Willow Glen event include:
Willow Glen Elementary
River Glen School K-8
Ernesto Galarza & Hammer Montessori
Gardner Academy and Washington Elementary
Join children & adults around the world to celebrate the benefits of biking and walking to school:
- Encouraging a child’s next stage of independence
- Physical activity
- Teaching safe pedestrian & bicycling skills to children
- Awareness of how walkable & bikeable community improvements can be made
- Concern for the environment Reducing traffic congestion, pollution & speed near schools
- Sharing time with community leaders, parents & children
- Creating joy and fun!
- Promoting psychological well-being and alertness
- Fostering maturation and responsibility
- Creating habits of activity, empowerment and thinking differently